Aguner Poroshmoni - Rabindrasangeet

Posted by Nerdyy

It's the start of the four day Durga Puja Festivities - today is Shaptami. For the next four days I will have four Rabindrasangeets - written and composed by Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore. Growing up I used to more or less hate Rabindrasangeets primarily because my parents forced me to listen to them :D - but these four are always my favorites. The interesting thing about some of these songs is that it canbe equally applied as a devotional song as well as a romantic song. It is also ironic that I am devoting songs to a religious festival LOLL ... many years ago a very close and religiously inclined friend had impressed on me the need (for me)to keep in touch with my spirituality regardless of whether I wanted to visit the mandir or not. She had stressed that I needed to remember the cultural background that I came from (no she didnt want to drag me to her favorite church or anything else :D). I might have laughed her thoughts off at that time, however over time I did understand what she was getting at - so here I am spending time and space on my blog celebrating the most important religious festival for us Bengalis :D


I found this tranlation online - its pretty good (amazing lyrics and song - the singer is Hemant Kumar or Hemanta Mukherjee)

Touch my heart with your fire so that this life
burns as a glorious offering.

Let this body be like a lamp among the heavens
And every song light up in glowing gesture.

In the heart of darkness I shall feel your touch
Through the nights as you light the stars
One after another.

No darkness shall veil this vision -
I shall find wondrous lights
Wherever I gaze.
And my tears will find a blazing fervor
As they reach up for the skies.

Happy Pujas everyone :D

5 comments:

  1. I have always grown up with the idea that love songs can be dedicated to a religious, or rather in my mind, spiritual, cause...I'd grown up with a community that often superimposed filmy love songs with religious connotations... (hence my very young debut singing nagare nagare dware dware - in search of not her husband but the lord) in fact, many of the songs I really 'feel' and love even recently give me such profound emotions because often I feel a greater and deeper spirituality in the love exemplified in the songs (although inverse to the love song to god dynamic, more that love itself takes you beyond the metaphysical realm...unto so much more in the space of unknown, immeasurable). I'm not so big on containing our spirituality in rituals and religion either, but I am glad your friend did what she did, it always adds something very grounded in having that spirituality retained within :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to add the examples of my recent songs: Sun Raha (female) from Aashiqui 2 and Nadaan Parinde from Rockstar - not just 2 examples but my topmost examples.

      Delete
  2. happy durga puja,happy saptmi to u :D

    ReplyDelete