Chorono Dhoritey Diyogo Amare - Rabindrasangeet

Posted by Nerdyy

Happy Maha Ashtami everyone - the peak of the four day pujas (is also a vegetarian day :O) - the basic story of durga puja is that there is this demon or asura terrorizing the earth ( and comes in the form of a buffalo - hence mahishasura) - so the three main gods decide to create a woman warrior using parts of their body to demolish the demon - the woman rides a lion :P. One of the critical battles happen on the evening of ashtami and beginning of navami - when two henchmen of the demon attack durga from behind - legend has it that durga turns around, demolishes them after glaring at them for disturbing her main fight LOLL :D. To commemorate this victory, there is a specail puja called Shandhi Puja that is performed at the time that ashtami switches to navami (usually late evening on ashtami day) - the area around the durga murti is lit with many lamps for shandhi puja.

Here is the second song again with strong devotional undertones. (This song is from the movie Dadar Kirti - Deeds of my older brother)


Do allow me to touch your feet
Do not, please do not, step away
With my life and in death
Through my joys and sorrows
Close to my heart, I will hold them

My burden of desires, I can tether no more
How long do I roam around with this load
Wreathe a garland with your own hands
Do not let me come apart

Ever athirst is desire
Save me by quelling it
May it win it's last triumph
By succumbing to you

The petty trifles of this self
Door to door I can sell no more
Do please, O please do make me yours
Garlanding me with your embrace

2 comments:

  1. Never underestimate a woman's glare :P haha. Happy vegetarian day bahahaha. and also: it was your guru jee's birthday yesterday :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes .. hes gonna have to wait till after the 14th :D ...btw navami is heavy non veg day ... usually in the afternoon lunch at the community pujas there is goat meat :P

      Delete