The Rhythms of Summer

Posted by Nerdyy

The warm winds have been slowly creeping back and finally it is a joy to sit outside on my deck, sipping a cup of coffee or a glass of chilled beer/wine depending on the time of day. Part of the bliss of summer for me is imbibing the various sounds and smells around, while I lounge out there, as I am doing right now with coffee!

There are the sounds of the neighborhood kids playing, birds chirping and singing songs to each other, the occasional bee venturing near me and buzzing around my ear just to remind me to beware of stepping into their natural domain, the dogs barking at squirrels or each other or sometimes after spotting me on the deck. The ice cream truck bells jingling, the trees swishing around while the winds waft through their leaves, the tomato plants on my deck swaying to these winds, the fragrance of my jasmine that has finally gone crazy, the lilac from the neighbor's garden. The jangling and clanging sounds of the garbage trucks in the alley, and the familiar buzzing sound of grass being mowed and trees and plants being trimmed.

Summer has been, over the last few years, when I've retreated into my solitude after many months of beautiful and never ending conversations that warmed my soul over the dark winters and early springs; yet it would be filled with the glorious anticipation of a forthcoming reconnection, inevitable in the past like the flow of a river through the plains fed by melting snow.

Summer has also been a time for catching up with family, sometimes long and sometimes short road trips, and almost every year a trip to the wonderland of Europe. Summer has always been synonymous with travel, of being away, of exploring new towns and new vistas.

But not every summer has to be exactly the same; and this summer and this year seem very different. This summer, the musical notes are distinctly off-key.

0 footnotes: